- FULL-TIME FIXED TERM OPPORTUNITY
- JOB DESCRIPTION: ASSOCIATE RESEARCHER / ANALYST
- LOCATION: ALT ADVISORY OFFICES, ROSEBANK, JOHANNESBURG
- DATE ISSUED: 3 MAY 2019
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: 21 MAY 2019
Download the opportunity: Career Opportunity – ALT Advisory – Associate Researcher
ALT Advisory, in association with Power Singh Inc., seeks to appoint an Associate Researcher / Analyst based in Rosebank, Johannesburg for a fixed term period of 12 months, with the possibility of renewal. The Associate Researcher / Analyst will work within all four of ALT Advisory’s practice areas, which include: (1) public law; (2) information rights; (3) data privacy; and (4) emergent technology.
About ALT Advisory
ALT Advisory is a dynamic, public interest legal advisory firm, based in Rosebank, Johannesburg that focuses on public law, information rights, data privacy and emergent technology. We strive to question convention and promote information rights and rights-based innovation. In doing so, we service international and domestic clients and contribute a portion of our income to funding public interest projects and litigation.
We envisage a future in which fundamental rights are protected and promoted, on- and offline, and rights-based technology innovation underlies inclusive information societies.
ALT Advisory works in association with Power Singh Inc., a law firm registered with the Legal Practice Council of South Africa, to engage in public interest litigation within our practice areas.
- Draft memoranda, legal and policy submissions, legal opinions, research reports, toolkits, advisory notes, concept documents, working papers and organisational reports.
- Monitor, document and analyse legal, political and technological policy developments in domestic and regional public and private sectors.
- Participate in the development and implementation of advocacy strategies at the domestic, regional and international levels.
- Assist with organisational development and staff training.
- Excellent legal research, policy analysis and writing skills.
- Strong project management, communication and public engagement skills.
- Expertise and experience in at least one of ALT Advisory’s practice areas.
- A technical or non-technical, but competent, understanding of information communications technology (ICT) and media policy.
- Ability to work well under pressure, independently and with others.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
- A commitment to strengthening public interest legal practice and the protection and promotion of fundamental rights.
- A commitment to continuing education.
- A commitment to organisational development and team work.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English.
- 1-5 years’ relevant work experience.
- Possession of a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or an equivalent legal, policy or political sciences qualification.
- Experience in advisory, policy analysis and commissioned research.
- Experience in documenting and monitoring ICT and media policy.
- Familiarity with and interest in the field of public law and information rights, particularly in the areas of access to information, freedom of expression and privacy.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Possession of a Master of Laws (LL.M.) or an equivalent post-graduate legal, policy or political sciences qualification.
- Admission as an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
- Work experience in domestic, regional and international human rights and social justice movements, particularly in the areas of international law, information rights and media law.
- Fluency in South African languages, French, and / or Portuguese.
- Possession of a valid driver’s licence.
Salary and benefits
ALT Advisory seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Our benefits include medical-aid, gym membership and the ability to work flexible working hours.
Commitment to diversity
We do not discriminate in our hiring practices and actively seek a diverse applicant pool. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations. We welcome all kinds of diversity. ALT Advisory is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages applications from previously disadvantaged persons.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please e-mail a motivational letter, your CV with two contactable references and copies of your qualifications to Jessie Rashid at [email protected] by Tuesday, 21 May 2019.
Please include “ASSOCIATE RESEARCHER/ANALYST: YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Please note that if you have not been contacted by 28 May 2019, please consider your application unsuccessful.
We are not in a position to engage with recruitment agencies for this position.
We look forward to hearing from you!