AVANI’S EXPERTISE _
Avani’s areas of work.
Developing international human rights law.
ABOUT AVANI _
Learn more about Avani and her work.
Avani is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa (with Right of Appearance) and a member of the Legal Practice Council. She holds B.Comm. and LL.B. degrees from the University of Pretoria.
Avani focuses on public law, information rights and media law, data privacy, and electoral law at the domestic, regional, and international levels, with a particular interest in advising clients in the areas of freedom of expression, online regulation, and privacy in Africa. She is also a director and co-founder of Power Singh Inc. (2018-).
Before forming ALT Advisory, Avani practised media law at Webber Wentzel (2011-14) and public law at the Legal Resources Centre (2014-17), and she clerked at the Constitutional Court of South African (2010, Justice Thembile Skweyiya) and the International Criminal Court (2013, Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji).
Avani has represented clients before various courts and tribunals, including media complaints mechanisms, in South Africa and she has appeared before the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and the United Nations Human Rights Committee.
- Attorney of the High Court of South Africa (with Right of Appearance).
- Member of the Legal Practice Council (Membership Number: 36143).
- B.Comm., LL.B. (University of Pretoria).
- Certificates in Privacy Law and Policy (University of Amsterdam); Advanced Topics in Internet Governance, Civil Society and Policy Advocacy (Central European University); Human Rights and the Marketplace (University of the Witwatersrand); and Advanced Administrative Law (University of the Witwatersrand).
- Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji at the International Criminal Court (2013).
- Justice Thembile Skweyiya at the Constitutional Court of South Africa (2010).
- Presentation on “Human rights and the internet: International and regional legal frameworks and developments”, hosted by the Association for Progressive Communications on The Role of National Human Rights Institutions in Protecting and Promoting Human Rights Online (2017).
- Co-panellist on “Surveillance as a doorstep to other violations of human rights”, presented at the NGO Forum of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (2017).
- Co-panellist on “Surveillance in the global south”, presented at RightsCon, Belgium (2017).
- Co-panellist on “Surveillance case studies from around the world”, presented at a side event during the United Nations Human Rights Council, Geneva (2017).
- Co-panellist on “Controlling the use and trade in the tools of torture and repression: Five principles for international regulation”, presented at a side event during the United Nations Human Rights Council, Geneva (2017).
- Author of chapter titled “Spying for others: The troubling case of transnational surveillance” in Surveillance and democracy: Chilling tales from around the world” (2016).
- Author of chapter titled “The relationship between the Sustainable Development Goals and higher education institutions: A South African perspective” in Ethics in Higher Education (2016).
- Presentation on “The regulatory framework for internet governance in South Africa”, hosted by Media Monitoring Africa (2016).
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: +2711 268 6881
Promoting rights-based technology innovation.
AVANI’S TIMELINE _
Key events in Avani’s career.
Developing Africa’s digital rights landscape.
OUR PEOPLE _
The ALT Advisory Team.