Mila’s areas of work
Developing international human rights law
Learn more about Mila and her work
Mila is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa and a member of the Legal Practice Council (currently on non-practising roll). She holds an LL.B. degree from the University of Pretoria, an LL.M. in International Law from the University of Johannesburg, an MPhil in Economic Policy from the University of Stellenbosch, and an MSc in Innovation and Entrepreneurship from HEC Paris Business School. She has also completed a number of certificate courses in social entrepreneurship, project management, business analysis, and knowledge management.
At ALT Advisory, as the Practice Lead for Social Innovation, Mila focuses on the future of public policy, health and digital policy, future of work, connected economies and societies, entrepreneurship and start-ups, and systems thinking and ecosystems.
Before joining ALT Advisory, Mila started her career in law, research and policy working as a researcher at the South African Human Rights Commission (2002-3). Thereafter, she clerked for Justice van der Westhuizen at the Constitutional Court of South Africa (2004-5), and practised at Webber Wentzel as a litigation attorney (2004-5; 2006-8) and at SECTION27 as an attorney working in research, policy development and analysis (2008-12).
More recently, Mila explored an entrepreneurship and consulting career in order to build a multi-disciplinary skill set where she worked as a management consultant and senior digital strategist for Dimension Data’s Digital Advisory Services (2016-17) and as Bureau Chief for the South African foreign trade office of the Polish Trade and Investment Agency (2019). She has also been involved in a number of entrepreneurial ventures over this time while completing her various multi-disciplinary studies (2012-19).
Mila joined ALT Advisory to return to her passion for public policy and law, having previously participated in, and contributed to, policy formulation in national and international policy forums, including as a member and chair of the WHO Stop TB Task Force on TB and Human Rights.
- Attorney of the High Court of South Africa, admitted in October 2007.
- Member of the Legal Practice Council (currently on a non-practising role of legal practitioners).
- MSc in Innovation and Entrepreneurship (HEC Paris Business School).
- LL.M. in International Law (University of Johannesburg).
- MPhil in Economic Policy (University of Stellenbosch).
- LL.B. (University of Pretoria).
- Certificate Programme in Knowledge Management (University of South Africa).
- Certificate Programme in Project Management Practice (Faculty Training Institute).
- Certificate Programme in Business Analysis (Faculty Training Institute).
- Management Programme for Non-profit Organisations (NPOs) (University of Stellenbosch Business School).
- Social Entrepreneurship Certificate Programme (SECP) (Gordon Institute of Business Science).
- Justice van der Westhuizen at the Constitutional Court of South Africa (2004-5).
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: +2711 268 6881
Promoting rights-based technology innovation
Key events in Mila’s career
Developing Africa’s digital rights landscape
The ALT Advisory Team