OUR SERVICES _
We assist individuals, startups, businesses and industries, civil society organisations, universities, regional and international mechanisms, and states with legal advisory, commissioned research, technology innovation, and training services in the areas of public law, emergent technology, media law, and data privacy.
Speak to us about combining service offerings to meet your organisational needs.
Developing international human rights law.
LEGAL ADVISORY _
Within our practice areas, we offer the following tailored legal advisory services at the intersection of law and technology:
- Concept development and implementation.
- Complaints mechanisms in the media industry, including the Press Council, the Advertising Standards Authority and the Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa.
- Development and implementation of legal instruments, including legislation, legal frameworks, binding instruments and treaties, guidelines, and resolutions.
- Domestic, regional and international advocacy strategies, including before the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and the United Nations.
- Domestic, regional and international law reform, including submissions to parliament on proposed legislation, to human rights bodies, and to special rapporteurs.
- Electoral reform and electronic voting, including compliance with domestic and international law, good practices, and the security of personal information of electoral candidates and voters.
- Regulatory compliance and compliance audits, including transnational compliance, assessments of weaknesses and risks in organisations, the preparation of compliance policies and manuals, and responses to take-down notices.
- Reviews and vetting, including of manuscripts, articles and other publications prior to them being published.
- Treaty body compliance / reporting.
Promoting rights-based technology innovation.
COMMISSIONED RESEARCH _
We employ research-specific methodologies, the latest technology, and participatory processes to ensure the integrity and impartiality of the following commissioned work:
- Comparative legal research.
- Concept notes.
- Discussion documents.
- Identification of case studies.
- Issue papers and position papers.
- Legal opinions.
- Report preparation and writing.
- White papers for start-ups.
Developing Africa’s digital rights landscape.
Using the latest blended-learning methodologies, we offer the following in-person and e-training workshops, including content development, assessments and training-the-trainers:
- Access to information, including access to information legislation, grounds for refusal, and protected disclosures.
- Blockchain and cryptocurrencies, including regulatory measures, opportunities and risks, and practical applications for businesses.
- Cybercrimes and cybersecurity laws.
- Data privacy, including data protection legislation, cross-border transfers, and comparative approaches in different jurisdictions.
- Digital security and encryption in practice.
- Freedom of expression online, including social media, online identity and reputation, hate speech online, and the creation of safe environments for internet users.
- Treating body advocacy and reporting, including jurisdiction, legal duties, and strategies.