Tina’s areas of work
Developing international human rights law
Learn more about Tina and her work
Tina is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa and a member of the Legal Practice Council. She holds B.A., LL.B. (with Distinction), and LL.M. in Human Rights Advocacy and Litigation degrees from the University of Witwatersrand.
Before joining ALT Advisory, Tina received the Section27-Students for Law and Social Justice Fellowship where she worked on matters relating to the right to basic education (2016). Thereafter, Tina completed her articles of clerkship at the Legal Resources Centre in Johannesburg (2017-18) as a Bertha Foundation Justice Fellow working on public law matters. Following her articles, Tina clerked at the Constitutional Court of South Africa (2019, Justice Nonkosi Mhlantla). Tina presently also acts as an Associate at Power Singh Inc. (2020-).
Tina focuses on public law and information rights, with an interest in constitutional law and democratic institutions, children’s rights, online harms reduction, and equality and non-discrimination.
Tina has a keen interest in understanding how technology and intersectionality can be used to strengthen institutions, reduce harm online, and promote equality.
- Attorney of the High Court of South Africa, admitted on 10 March 2020.
- Member of the Legal Practice Council (Membership Number: 47754).
- B.A., LL.B. (with Distinction), LL.M. in Human Rights Advocacy and Litigation (University of the Witwatersrand).
- Justice Nonkosi Mhlantla at the Constitutional Court of South Africa (2019).
- Co-Author, Guruli et al., ‘Access Denied: Internet Access and the Right to Education in South Africa’ Report (29 September 2020).
- Presented at the South African Human Rights Commission Colloquium on access to education for undocumented learners, 26 March 2018.
- Presented at the National Consultation on Monitoring Goal 16 in South Africa hosted by the African Policing Civilian Oversight Forum in partnership with the United Nation Development Program, 19 July 2017.
- Contributor, Basic Education Handbook, SECTION27 and others (2017).
- Tina Power, ‘The Politics of Law: The Changing Role of Public Interest Litigation in the Search for Openness and Accountability’ (2018) University of the Witwatersrand LL.M Dissertation.
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: +2711 268 6881
Promoting rights-based technology innovation
The ALT Advisory Team