WHERE WE WORK _
Since 2017, we’ve worked or assisted clients based in 14 countries across 5 continents, including Argentina, Ethiopia, France, Hungary, Kenya, Malta, Namibia, Pakistan, South Africa, Sudan, Switzerland, Tanzania (Zanzibar), the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Developing international human rights law.
PORTFOLIO OF WORK _
Learn about our recent and ongoing projects.
- ALT Advisory is supporting the work of the UK Government Prosperity Fund on digital inclusion in South Africa.
- ALT Advisory, together with the International Human Rights Clinic at the University of Chicago, the Right2Know Campaign, and Acacia Economics, is preparing a research report on internet in schools in South Africa.
- ALT Advisory is working together with Media Monitoring Africa and other stakeholders, including the Independent Electoral Commission of South Africa, to develop strategies to address the challenge of disinformation during the upcoming 2019 general election in South Africa.
- ALT Advisory recently prepared draft guidelines on the African Union Free Movement Protocol for the Department of Social Affairs (DSA) and compiled a draft legal and political framework for the Citizens and Diaspora Directorate (CIDO) of the African Union Commission.
- ALT Advisory recently worked with UNESCO to develop a toolkit for judiciaries in Africa on legal standards on freedom of expression.
- ALT Advisory recently assisted an international technology company with documenting and mapping data protection laws in Africa to ensure the better protection of the personal information of its users.
Percentage of time/income towards special (public interest) projects (what does this mean):
2019 Portfolio _
Promoting rights-based technology innovation.
2018 Portfolio _
Developing Africa’s digital rights landscape.
2017 Portfolio _
Safeguarding digital rights and privacy in Africa.
WHAT WE DO _
Assisting organisations with legal advisory, commissioned research, training, and tech innovation services in the areas of public law, information rights, data privacy, and emergent tech.