Safeguarding fundamental rights in an AI-driven future
ALT Advisory is currently engaging in research on artificial intelligence (AI) with the objective of creating a suitable framework for safeguarding fundamental rights in the planning and implementation of AI in South Africa and regionally. The research includes:
- Mapping the applicable laws, policies and other regulatory frameworks regarding AI.
- Undertaking a scoping of the practical application of AI in South Africa and regionally.
- Understanding the rights-based impacts that AI has – and will have – on affected persons, both now and in the future.
- Raising public awareness about the implications of AI, both in terms of the benefits and the risks.
- Facilitating public discussions with key experts from around the world on good practices regarding the planning and implementation of AI.
- Building a multi-disciplinary evidence base and provide a resource hub of relevant materials, including resources prepared by ALT Advisory.
Promoting rights-based technology innovation
DATA PROTECTION AFRICA
Africa’s Data Privacy Resource
Data Protection Africa is an online open-access portal that provides information on data protection laws and access to data protection authorities in 32 African countries.
Status: Launched; Development ongoing
Developing international human rights law
Leveraging technology to secure and improve democratic processes
The Democracy 2.0 project seeks to determine:
- How to make democracy appropriate for a time of social media, global connectivity, digital communication, artificial intelligence, and data-driven surveillance.
- How we right the course towards full and equal participation for all, and prevent degradation into populism or minority rule, despite the numerous new challenges.
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.
Safeguarding information rights and privacy in Africa
INTERNET IN SCHOOLS
Promoting access to the internet in South African schools
ALT Advisory, in association with the Global Human Rights Clinic at the University of Chicago Law School, Acacia Economics, and Media Monitoring Africa completed a two-year research project from 2018-2020 on internet access in South African schools. The findings of the research have been published in a research report titled: “Access Denied: Internet Access and the Right to Education in South Africa“.
Developing Africa’s information rights landscape
Gender-based violence online
Deconstruct is a special project that is managed by Power Singh Inc., an ALT Advisory partner organisation. It seeks to “deconstruct” the law and provide accessible and meaningful legal resources to the public. Deconstruct is currently focusing on preparing resources to limit the scourge of gender-based violence online.
Status: In progress
Working for positive change around the world
Creating sustainable partnerships the digital age
If you’re interested in collaborating with us on one or more of our special projects, let’s chat.