Call for comment: Cybercrimes Bill
The South African Select Committee on Security and Justice of the National Council of Provinces has called for written submissions on the Cybercrimes Bill B6B-2017.
As set out in the long title of the Cybercrimes Bill, the objects of the Cybercrimes Bill include:
- To create offences which have a bearing on cybercrime;
- To criminalise the distribution of data messages which are harmful, and to provide for interim protection orders;
- To regulate jurisdiction in respect of cybercrimes;
- To regulate the powers to investigate cybercrimes;
- To regulate aspects relating to mutual assistance in respect of the investigation of cybercrime;
- To provide for the establishment of a designated Point of Contact;
- To impose obligations to report cybercrimes;
- To provide for capacity building;
- To provide that the Executive may enter into agreements with foreign States to promote measures aimed at the detection, prevention, mitigation and investigation of cybercrimes.
The deadline for submissions is Friday, 8 March 2019, and should be emailed to Mr G. Dixon at [email protected].
The call for submissions (via the Parliamentary Monitoring Group) is accessible here.
The Cybercrimes Bill is accessible here.
Please note: The information contained in this note is for general guidance on matters of interest, and does not constitute legal advice. For any enquiries, please contact us at [email protected].