The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (African Commission) has called for comment on the draft Revised Rules of Procedure of the African Commission (draft Revised Rules). The draft Revised Rules regulate the organisation and establish the procedure of the African Commission, in accordance with Article 42(2) of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (African Charter).
The draft Revised Rules provide for, among other things, the following in relation to the African Commission:
- Status and composition;
- Records and reports;
- Functions and powers;
- Handling of communications;
- Interpretation and advisory opinions;
- State-reporting procedures under article 62 of the African Charter;
- Subsidiary mechanisms, including the special rapporteurs, committees and working groups;
- Relationship with the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights;
- Relationships with other African Union organs and institutions;
- Relationships with states parties, intergovernmental institutions, national and specialised human rights institutions, non-governmental organisations and other partners.
The deadline for submissions is 27 September 2019 and should be emailed to [email protected].
The call for comment is accessible here.
The draft Revised Rules are accessible here.
Please note: The information contained in this note is for general guidance on matters of interest, and does not constitute legal advice. For any enquiries, please contact us at [email protected].