Call for nominations: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
The Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN) has issued a call for nominations for the position of High Commissioner for Human Rights at the Under-Secretary-General level.
The deadline for applications is 11 July 2018, and must be sent to the UN Secretariat or by email to [email protected]. Applications should include the candidate’s curriculum vitae and full contact information.
As indicated in the call for nominations, the Secretary-General is seeking an individual with:
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge of human rights issues and challenges derived from experience of leadership in an academic, governmental, inter-governmental and/or nongovernmental setting;
- Ability to be a powerful and convincing advocate on all aspects of human rights worldwide within the UN system, including charter- and treaty-based human rights bodies, and with governments, national institutions and civil society organisations, as well as the wider public;
- Demonstrated leadership experience with strategic vision and proven skills in leading transformation in, and managing complex organisations, such as intergovernmental, international non-governmental or multinational private sector entities;
- Proven track record of change management in complex organisations and accomplishments at the regional, national or international level with strong resource mobilisation, political and diplomatic skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural team and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organisation;
- Proven ability to inspire, encourage, build trust and confidence and also build consensus, stimulate effective campaigns and drive collective action among a broad spectrum of people and organisations;
- High commitment to the values and guiding principles of the UN and familiarity with the UN system, including peacekeeping, human rights, humanitarian and development settings and challenges.
The nomination of women candidates is strongly encouraged.
The call for nominations is accessible here.
Please note: The information contained in this note is for general guidance on matters of interest, and does not constitute legal advice. For any enquiries, please contact us at [email protected].