Call for submissions on the Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill
The Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services has called for written submissions on the Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill B9-2018 (the Bill).
As set out in section 2 of the Bill, its objects include the following:
- Give effect to South Africa’s obligations regarding prejudice and intolerance as contemplated in international instruments;
- Provide for the prosecution of persons who commit hate crimes and hate speech, and provide for appropriate sentences;
- Provide for the prevention of hate crimes and hate speech;
- Provide for effective enforcement measures;
- Combat the commission of hate crimes and hate speech in a co-ordinated manner;
- Gather and record data on hate crimes and hate speech.
The deadline for submissions is Thursday, 31 January 2019. Submissions can be emailed to Mr V. Ramaano at [email protected].
The call for submissions is accessible here.
For a summary of the changes made to the Bill, read our Insight here.
Please note: The information contained in this note is for general guidance on matters of interest, and does not constitute legal advice. For any enquiries, please contact us at [email protected].