On 28 February 2019, the National Information Technology Authority of Uganda (NITA-U) announced that President Museveni had assented to and signed into law the Data Protection and Privacy Act, 2019.
According to the press statement published by NITA-U, the Data Protection and Privacy Act expands the mandate of NITA-U, and will protect the privacy of the individual and of personal data by regulating the collection and processing of personal information. The objectives of the Data Protection and Privacy Act include:
- To protect the privacy of the individual and personal data.
- To regulate the collection and processing of personal information.
- To provide for the rights of the persons whose data is collected.
- To provide obligations of data collectors and data processors.
- To regulate the use or disclosure of personal information of personal information and for related matters.
The Data Protection and Privacy Act is accessible here.
The press statement published by NITA-U is accessible here.
Please note: The information contained in this note is for general guidance on matters of interest, and does not constitute legal advice. For any enquiries, please contact us at [email protected].