The Kenyan Computer Misuse and Cybercrimes Act, 2018 was assented to by President Uhuru Kenyatta on 16 May 2018. This follows it having been approved by the National Assembly on 26 April 2018.
As set out in section 3 of the Act, its objects are as follows:
- to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availabilty of computer systems, programs and data;
- to prevent the unlawful use of computer systems;
- to facilitate the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and punishment of cybercrimes;
- to protect the rights to privacy, freedom of expression and access to information as guaranteed under the Constitution of Kenya; and
- to facilitate international cooperation.
The Act is accessible here.
Please note: The information contained in this note is for general guidance on matters of interest, and does not constitute legal advice. For any enquiries, please contact us at [email protected].