The South African Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services has extended the deadline for written submissions on the Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill B9-2018 (the Bill) to Friday, 15 February 2019. Submissions can be emailed to Mr V. Ramaano at [email protected].
Interested parties are further requested to indicate whether they would like to make an oral presentation on the Bill. Mr Ramaano can be contacted regarding the dates for public hearings on 021 403 3820 / 083 709 8427.
As set out in section 2 of the Bill, its objects include the following:
- To give effect to South Africa’s obligations regarding prejudice and intolerance as contemplated in international instruments;
- To provide for the prosecution of persons who commit hate crimes and hate speech, and provide for appropriate sentences;
- To provide for the prevention of hate crimes and hate speech;
- To provide for effective enforcement measures;
- To combat the commission of hate crimes and hate speech in a co-ordinated manner;
- To gather and record data on hate crimes and hate speech.
The updated call for submissions (via the Parliamentary Monitoring Group) is accessible here.
For a summary of the changes made to the Bill, read our Insight here.
Please note: The information contained in this note is for general guidance on matters of interest, and does not constitute legal advice. For any enquiries, please contact us at [email protected].