The draft Regulations seek to bring the provisions and regulations of PAIA in line with similar provisions and regulations of the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (POPIA).
The draft Regulations include 5 chapters:
- Chapter 1 provides for various definitions.
- Chapter 2 outlines the obligations of the Information Regulator and Information Officers, respectively.
- Chapter 3 deals with the availability of and the processes for accessing certain records of public and private bodies and political parties.
- Chapter 4 outlines the process for lodging complaints to the Information Regulator, as well as the handling of such complaints.
- Chapter 5 provides for offences and penalties.
The comments on the draft Regulations must be submitted to Ms A Van der Walt, on or before 17 May 2021. The comments can be submitted by:
- Post to the Director-General: Justice and Constitutional Development Private Bag X 81 Pretoria 0001;
- E-mail to [email protected]; or
- Fax to 086 648 0963.
Further information can be obtained from Ms A van der Walt at 012 406 4767 or Ms I Botha at 012 406 4756.
The draft Regulations can be accessed here.
The Department of Justice and Constitutional Development’s media summary can be accessed here.
Please note: The information contained in this note is for general guidance on matters of interest, and does not constitute legal advice. For any enquiries, please contact us at [email protected].