Opportunity: Lusophone Analyst // Consultant – CLOSED
APPLICATIONS FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY ARE NOW CLOSED
PART-TIME FIXED TERM OPPORTUNITY
JOB DESCRIPTION: LUSOPHONE ANALYST / CONSULTANT
TIME-PERIOD: SIX MONTHS
LOCATION: REMOTE (BASED IN MOZAMBIQUE / ANGOLA)
DATE ISSUED: 28 APRIL 2020
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 19 MAY 2020
OPPORTUNITY STARTING DATE: 1 JUNE 2020
ALT Advisory seeks to appoint a part-time Lusophone Analyst / Consultant (Analyst) with experience in Mozambique and Angola for a fixed-term period of six months, with the possibility of renewal. The Analyst will be tasked with providing weekly guidance notes and monthly reports on information and communications technologies (ICT) and public policy developments in Mozambique, Angola and the Southern African Development Community (SADC) region. The Analyst should be able to communicate fluently in both English and Portuguese and will be contracted for up to 20 hours a month at an hourly rate commensurate with experience.
About ALT Advisory
ALT Advisory is a public interest advisory firm, based in Johannesburg, South Africa that focuses on public law, information rights, data privacy, emergent technology and social innovation. We strive to develop fundamental rights and galvanise activism in the information age through effective and innovative public-interest advisory services. In doing so, we service international and domestic clients and contribute a portion of our income to funding public interest projects and litigation. ALT Advisory works in association with Power Singh Inc., a law firm registered with the Legal Practice Council of South Africa, to engage in public interest litigation within our practice areas.
- Draft memoranda, legal and policy submissions, research papers and reports, toolkits, advisory notes, concept documents, and working papers relating to ICT and public policy developments in Mozambique, Angola and the SADC region.
- Monitor, record and analyse legal, political, social and technological policy developments in Mozambique, Angola and the SADC region.
- Provide weekly guidance notes and monthly reports on ICT and public policy developments in Mozambique, Angola and the SADC region.
- Excellent legal research, policy analysis and writing skills.
- Strong project management, communication and public engagement skills.
- Expertise and experience in public policy monitoring.
- Technical or non-technical, but competent, understanding of information communications technology (ICT) and public policy.
- Ability to work well under pressure, independently and with others.
- Ability to work remotely and meet strict deadlines.
- Commitment to organisational development and team work.
- Based in Mozambique or Angola but with extensive knowledge of the socio-political contexts in both countries.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English and Portuguese.
- 1-5 years’ relevant work experience.
- Possession of a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or an equivalent legal, policy or political sciences qualification.
- Experience in advisory, policy analysis and commissioned research.
- Experience in documenting and monitoring ICT and media policy.
- Familiarity with and interest in the field of public law and information rights, particularly in the areas of access to information, freedom of expression and privacy.
- Ability and willingness to travel, if needed.
- Possession of a Master of Laws (LL.M.) or an equivalent post-graduate legal, policy or political sciences qualification.
- Work experience in domestic, regional and international human rights and social justice movements, particularly in the areas of international law, information rights and media law.
- Fluency in French, in addition to English and Portuguese.
Salary and benefits
ALT Advisory seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience. For this opportunity, ALT Advisory seeks to contract an Analyst for 20 hours per month at an hourly rate of USD50-USD100 per hour, depending on experience. No further benefits are available for this opportunity.
At this stage, the Analyst will be contracted for six months, with the possibility of renewal.
Commitment to diversity
We do not discriminate in our hiring practices and actively seek a diverse applicant pool. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations. We welcome all kinds of diversity. ALT Advisory is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applications from previously disadvantaged persons.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please e-mail a motivational letter detailing your suitability for this opportunity, your CV with two contactable references and copies of your qualifications to Jessie Rashid at [email protected] by Tuesday, 19 May 2020.
Please include “LUSOPHONE ANALYST/CONSULTANT: YOUR NAME” in the subject line of your e‑mail.
Please note that if you have not been contacted by 30 May 2020, please consider your application unsuccessful.
We are not in a position to engage with recruitment agencies for this position.
We look forward to hearing from you!