JOB DESCRIPTION: ASSOCIATE
TIME-PERIOD: 12 MONTHS
LOCATION: ROSEBANK, JOHANNESBURG
DATE ISSUED: 27 JUNE 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 18 JULY 2022
OPPORTUNITY STARTING DATE: 1 SEPTEMBER 2022
ALT Advisory, in association with Power Singh Inc., seeks to appoint an Associate based in Rosebank, Johannesburg for a fixed-term period of 12 months, with the possibility of renewal. The Associate will work within both ALT Advisory and Power Singh Inc, across various teams including the Public Policy, Impact, and Litigation Teams.
About ALT Advisory and Power Singh Inc.
ALT Advisory is a public interest advisory and research firm based in South Africa working for positive change in Africa, and around the world. We advance fundamental rights, enable meaningful activism, and advocate for rights‑based approaches to contemporary questions on- and offline. We assist local and international civil society organisations, regional and international bodies, and socially responsible organisations with advisory, research, impact, training, and communications services in the areas of public law & policy, information rights, data privacy, and emergent technology. ALT Advisory works in association with Power Singh Inc., a public interest law firm registered with the Legal Practice Council of South Africa, to engage in public interest litigation within our practice areas.
- Draft memoranda, legal and policy submissions, legal opinions, research reports, toolkits, advisory notes, concept documents, working papers, and organisational reports.
- Conduct legal and/or policy research on international human rights law, digital and information rights, and questions of social justice in the digital age.
- Support the Public Policy Team with monitoring, documenting, and analysing legal, political, social, and technological policy developments in domestic and regional public and private sectors.
- Work with the Impact Team to support and empower civil society organisations with strategic development and organisational development.
- Participate in the development and implementation of advocacy strategies at the domestic, regional, and international levels.
- Support the Litigation Team with legal proceedings and processes, including legal research, developing strategic and test case litigation strategies, participating in client consultations, and attending court.
- Assist with organisational development and staff training.
- Commitment to advancing social justice and fundamental rights.
- Technical or non-technical, but competent, understanding of information communications technology (ICT), public policy, and human rights developments.
- Driven to work with, support, and empower civil society and social impact-driven organisations.
- Excellent research, policy analysis, and writing skills.
- Well organised with strong project management skills.
- Excellent communication and public engagement skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, independently, and with others.
- Capacity to meet strict deadlines.
- Commitment to continuing education.
- Commitment to organisational development and teamwork.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English.
- 0-3 years’ relevant work experience.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or bachelor’s degree in human rights, public policy, political science, economics, journalism, or a relevant social science. Applicants who are in their final year of an undergraduate degree are eligible to apply.
- Demonstrable interest in the field of human rights and information rights.
- Ability to travel, dependent on COVID-19 restrictions.
- Experience in advisory, policy analysis, commissioned research, and/or litigation.
- Experience in documenting and monitoring ICT, public policy, and human rights developments, and/or experience working in or supporting civil society organisations.
- Familiarity with and interest in the field of public law and information rights, particularly in the areas of freedom of expression, access to information, and privacy.
- Master’s degree or an equivalent post-graduate qualification in human rights, law, public policy, political science, economics, journalism, or a relevant social science.
- Admission as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa (practicing or non-practicing).
- Fluency in South African languages, French, and/or Portuguese.
- Demonstrable experience delivering high-quality written outputs in both short and long formats.
At this stage, the Associate will be contracted for 12 months, with the possibility of renewal.
Salary and benefits
R420,000 to R500,000 for the 12-month contract, including benefits. Benefits include medical aid, disability and life insurance, gym membership, airtime and data allowances, and an education allowance.
Commitment to diversity
We do not discriminate in our hiring practices and actively seek a diverse applicant pool. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations. We welcome all kinds of diversity. ALT Advisory is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applications from previously disadvantaged persons.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please e-mail a motivational letter detailing your suitability for this opportunity, your CV with two contactable references, and copies of your qualifications to Jessie Rashid at [email protected] by Monday, 18 July 2022.
Please include “ASSOCIATE: YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the e-mail.
If you have not been contacted by 12 August 2022, please consider your application unsuccessful.
We are not in a position to engage with recruitment agencies for this position.
We look forward to hearing from you!