ALT Advisory is a public interest advisory firm, based in Johannesburg, South Africa that focuses on public law, information rights, data privacy, emergent technology, and social innovation.
ALT Advisory seeks to commission three emerging illustrators and/or photojournalists based in Africa to create digital artwork, photography, and other visual media based on themes related to information rights, such as data protection, freedom of expression online, digital privacy, and access to the internet.
This forms part of a new ALT Advisory Special Project to create open-source visual media about information rights, that promote these rights, inspire hope and/or activism, and contribute to representations of information rights that promote diversity and inclusivity.
Selected images will be licensed to ALT Advisory and will be made available under a Creative Commons licence to third parties.
- If commissioned under this Special Project, illustrators will receive a brief, and develop an initial concept before being commissioned to produce the final artworks.
- The artwork should be provided in a variety of formats, suitable to being used in large (A2) posters, stickers, postcards and web images.
- If commissioned under this Special Project, photojournalists will receive an editorial brief to produce street/documentary photography relevant to the theme of information rights, in an urban or rural area in Africa.
- Photographers will be expected to adhere to ethical guidelines in the South African Press Code of Ethics, and/or an equivalent press code in the country where they are based.
- The images should be provided in a format that is suitable for editorial and journalistic purposes.
Illustrators and/or photojournalists will be commissioned at a fixed rate of USD500 per commission.
How to apply
To apply, please send a brief letter of motivation, and up to five examples of previous work, to [email protected] by Friday, 29 October 2021. For any clarity before the closing date, please e-mail [email protected].
Please include “Activist Art & Information Rights” in the subject line of the e-mail.
If you have not been contacted by 5 November 2021, please consider your application unsuccessful.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Commitment to diversity
We do not discriminate in our hiring practices and actively seek a diverse applicant pool. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations. We welcome all kinds of diversity. ALT Advisory is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applications from previously disadvantaged persons.
About ALT Advisory and Power Singh Inc.
ALT Advisory is a public interest advisory firm, based in Johannesburg, South Africa that focuses on public law, information rights, data privacy, emergent technology, and social innovation. We strive to develop fundamental rights and galvanise activism in the information age through effective and innovative public-interest advisory services. In doing so, we service international and domestic clients and contribute a portion of our income to funding public interest projects and litigation. ALT Advisory works in association with Power Singh Inc., a public interest law firm registered with the Legal Practice Council of South Africa, to engage in public interest litigation within our practice areas.