15 February 2023 – We are proud to announce the launch of ALT Advisory’s new practice area in pursuit of climate justice and a sustainable world for present and future generations.
The Climate Justice & Sustainability (CJS) practice area complements and further diversifies ALT Advisory’s core offering, with the aim of building climate resilience by focusing on sustainable technology and human rights provision.
Senior Associate at ALT Advisory, Tim Lloyd, has been appointed to head up this specialised unit, which will operate in association with ALT Advisory’s associate public interest law firm, Power Singh Inc.
This initiative is in response to human-induced climate change and the increasing threat it poses, demanding innovation and collective action. This reality is illustrated by the latest World Economic Forum Global Risk Report, which ranks multiple socio-ecological crises on the list of identified human risks.
Placing an emphasis on implementation, monitoring, and impact reporting, CJS is positioned as an enabler of positive change in the global context of the just transition to climate-resilient societies. Importantly, this includes the confluence of digital transformation and climate and environmental justice.
Joining the growing effort to secure climate-resilient development in Africa, and beyond, CJS will engage in six focus areas:
- Sustainable technologies and human rights: Ensuring that emergent technologies support climate and environmental resilience.
- Climate data and open government: Enabling public access to climate-related information and knowledge to foster accountability.
- Corporate vigilance and value-chains: Promoting corporate vigilance throughout product life-cycles to build resilient supply chains.
- A just transition and distributive justice: Promoting the right to a just transition based on the protection and regeneration of the commons.
- Climate change and human movement: Harnessing law and technology to assist climate-induced migrants and displaced persons.
- Mitigation, adaptation, and resilience: Developing “resilience law” and implementing climate change adaptation plans.
Through the ALT Advisory private-public interest law model, CJS offers principle-bound legal advisory services to a range of socially responsible actors driving the just transition and sustainability agenda. These include the existing suite of services provided by ALT Advisory and Power Singh Inc., which includes commissioned research, legal and policy analysis, human rights impact assessments, and law reform and advocacy. In addition, CJS also offers practice-specific services, such as climate risk and vulnerability assessments, climate change literacy and policy integration, and supply chain vigilance.
The CJS practice will operate from the ALT Advisory head office in Rosebank, Johannesburg.
Find out more about the CJS offering, Tim Lloyd’s work, and the various fee structures and funding arrangements that are available at ALT Advisory and Power Singh Inc. here.